Tag Archives: 3d Printing


Hexapod (2016, currently unfinished)

I’ve started the project in early November 2015 and have been doing it on and off when I had time of work. I started it because a friend in London Hackspace had a Hexapod kit laying around with a bunch of unused servomotors. He offered me to build it. So first step was to test the servos, I’ve connected them to my Pololu Mini Maestro servo controller (a perfect debugging tool for multi-servo projects) and started spinning. A few were broken so I had to take them apart and put back together so that the gears would spin properly again. After purchasing the remaining servos I did some research. The idea was to build a robot using ROS. And I wanted to use Raspberry Pi 2 to control everything. I’ve found a Hexapod robot project done by someone before using ROS and it became my main starting point. That project used BeagleBone Black, but I for some reason wanted to use Raspberry Pi (perhaps as I was in London and Pi is a UK based device). And so I ordered some additional electronic components: 18-servo Pololu Mini Maestro, Bi-directional 3.3v to 5v logic controller, Pololu MiniMU9 (IMU) and MCP3008 (for ADC as Pi2 doesn’t have those). Next step was to assemble the kit. I didn’t have to design or cut the hexapod frame as the kit had everything I needed already. Parts weren’t of the best quality, but I couldn’t complain as I got them for free. All I needed to do was to drill some M8 holes and then cut M8 bolts to size to keep two main plates fixed together. My good friend was visiting London for work and we spent one evening assembling the kit with all of my servos. Happy days 🙂 Next thing I went on…


InMoov updated version (2016, left the project)

In my free time from work I have been visiting Wevolver guys’ new office at Fablab London to finalize some parts of the InMoov for the Robots For Good project. We have reprinted the crucial parts with good quality about 60-70% fill and 2.4mm thickness walls. The worm gears were printed with 100% (solid) fill. It took some time, but step by step both arms of the robot came along. I have learnt a few things about 3D print quality, wall thickness, fill and 3D printer tuning (on Ultimakers at least) along the way. Share: Twitter Facebook Google+…