Tag Archives: Python


InMoov Robot (Unbound event version, 2015)

In early November I joined the Robots For Good project started by Wevolver staff. They had an almost fully printed InMoov Robot (designed by Gael Langevin). However it happened so that they needed to have it moving in some way (at least pre-scripted movements) in 2 weeks time for the Unbound tech exhibition event in London. It was their side project as their main work is the Wevolver website and community. I was confident enough by that time to agree on the offer to help them with InMoov. And so it began. I have faced a few challenges. The main one being a close deadline and a few others involved poor quality prints of some essential moving parts such as gearboxes for shoulders. I spent a lot of time filing the gears and reprinting some parts on a handy Ultimaker 2 we had at London Hackspace at the time. I also had to take out almost every single servomotor, take it apart, take out the potentiometers and put it back together. It was required by the InMoov design, but has not been done before. It was needed because the shoulder gearboxes had worm gears and we needed the have those potentiometers to be the feedback of the actual angle the arm has turned, not how much the worm gear has turned. My soldering skills have really improved after this project. Another problem I faced was the fact that gearboxes would have too much friction. Yes, the quality of Ultimaker 2 is fairly good but still the gears would need a lot of filing before they could be used in the gearboxes. After hours of filing and packing the gearboxes with automotive grease – I could see the arms moving. The last bit of the task was to make it possible…

Screen Shot 2016-04-16 at 11.28.33 PM

Precious Web (2015)

The web part of my small time management and hour logging app. It allows users to see their stats for different tags, projects and time spans. The data is added to the database via the Mac OS app. The web app is created using Django framework in Python. It was a full stack personal project, so I had to learn how to set up and host a Django production server on my dedicated LAMP machine (Webmin is my saviour for these tasks). I also had to do the front-end, so I learned a bit about SASS and d3.js The project is open sourced. Github repo: https://github.com/antonvino/precious_web Share: Twitter Facebook Google+…

Screen Shot 2015-09-06 at 9.42.23 pm

Precious app (2015)

In early 2015 I have come up with an idea of logging my hours and marking each hour as productive/non-productive depending on whether I have procrastinated or got distracted for more than 10 minutes in that hour. I used an Excel table for that and counted the productive hours at the end of the day. A productive hour would give me 1 point and non-productive would give me -1 point. A neutral hour such as an hour spent on routine things around the house, commuting or sports would give 0 points. If at the end of the day I had 8 points, I would give myself a reward next day in the means of a chocolate bar. Later on I thought, why can’t I make a simple app which would allow me to quickly log hours without relying on Excel? And that would also give me statistics over the long periods of time? And so I’ve created a Mac OS app written in Python using py2app. I chose Python because at the time (March 2015) I was learning it while doing a part time internship at Digital Eskimo in Sydney. At work I learned Python and Django and to create my app I used those and also py2app wrappers to make a Python app work with MacOSX. The trickiest part was to achieve syncing, I used Python Requests (a brilliant Python package for HTTP requests) and RestAPI in Django. That allowed me to POST data from my Mac OS App to my Web Django app and sync data. The finished project allowed me to log hours throughout the course of the whole semester, so I could see some stats. Further improvements will include variable time periods (not just an hour) as I have recently learned in a course called Learning…